Flashcards in Articles/Readings for Final Deck (8)
America in the Beginning
• What are the major reasons for people not believing these sites are earlier than Clovis?
o Problems of dating
• What are other possibilities to the arrival to the New World? Other than Beringia, specifically
o By boat
• Reasons with not believing
o The earliest ______ is 16,000
Pre-clovis occupation in Florida
• 1983 or so found artifacts but findings
• something about hunters and gatherers and ability to adapt to environment well enough to hunt
• What evidence was used to determine this was pre-clovis
o Radiocarbon dating
o Lithic tools
o 14,000 years ago
o also used sporomiella (dung fungus from animals)
130kya in the Americas
• What evidence was used?
o Hammerstones anvils mastodon remains
• What problems do you see?
o Lithics are iffy…
• Problems with this article…
o They don’t look like any lithic we know of
The Flesh of God
• maize is flesh of God—maize is life
• maize as a staple crop drove the economy and society at large
• Olmec Jade celts as units of exchange (possible currency)
• Emergence of Divine Kings
• Early Maya and Olmec included states
• The feud
• What is the feud in question
o Who is getting credit over the important discovery of the age of the site?
Why is this important?
Arch is collaborative. Between local archaeologists, foreign archaeologists, local govt, communities, indigenous groups, etc.
Shoddy deserved to be heard
o Caral might not have been the first city in the region; the entire region was expanding