Flashcards in Atypical gender development Deck (8):
What is gender identity disorder?
mismatch between biological sex and gender a person identifies with
What is the biological explanation of brain sex theory?
GID caused by size of BSTc, a dimorphic area of the brain that its larger in men but the same size among GID people (Zhou)
What is the biological explanation of genetic influences?
- twin studies show 62% of GID cases accounted for by genetic variance (coolidge)
what is the social psychological explanation of psychoanalytic theory?
- GID in males is caused by extreme separation anxiety (ovesey and Person)
what is the social psychological explanation of cognitive explanations?
- dual pathway theory suggests the development of scheme causes us to identify with out group rather than in group
- contradictory evidence for BSTc
- Hulshoff Pol = BSTc affected by transgender hormone therapy
- brain area not fixed n childhood
- twin studies are inconclusive
- low concordance rates and small sample sizes
- difficult to separate nature and nurture as cause (interactionist)