Flashcards in Androgyny and the BSRI Deck (5):
what is androgyny?
- balance of masculine and feminine traits
- bet stated a balance of the two causes better mental stability
what is Bem's BSRI?
- the 74 scale had 20 masculine, feminine and neutral traits and people rated themselves
- people classified as either masculine or feminine, androgynous or undifferentiated
+ scale appears valid and reliable
scale developed by asking 50 males and 50 females to rate 200 traits, and top 20 picked
- scale piloted with our 2000 students (validity)
- follow up study gave same results (test retest reliability)
+ Association with androgyny and good psychological wellbeing
- Bem emphasised that high androgyny causes good mental health
- better dealing with masculine, feminine or androgynous situations
- however sheer and Adams (85) said masculine traits more desirable in western society (cultural context)