Flashcards in Atypical sex chromosome patterns Deck (9):
what is Klienfelter's?
- effects i in 500/1000
- males but have XXY chromosomes (female characteristics)
what are the physical characteristics of klienfelter's?
- reduced body hair
- breast development at puberty
- round body contours
- long limbs
- undeveloped genitals
what are the psychological characteristics of klienfelter's?
- bad language and reading skills
- passive and shy
- no intrest in sex
- bad with stress, memory and problem solving
what is Turner's syndrome?
- affects 1 in 5000
- absence of X chromosomes (X0) - 45 chromosomes instead of 46
what are the physical characteristics of Turner's syndrome?
- no periods/ sterile
- broad shielded chest
- low set ears and webbed neck
- prepubescent girls body
what are the psychological characteristics of Turner's?
- better than normal reading
- bad maths, visual and spatial memory
- socially immature
- trouble relating to others and fitting in
+ contribution to nature nurture debate
- by comparing these people to normal people, we can see the psychological and behavioural differences
- seen as result of biology/ nature
+/- environmental explanation
relationship between chromosome abnormalities and behaviour isn't causal
- environmental and social can affect individuals
(can assume everything stops do with nature)