Flashcards in Cartilage and bone part 1 Deck (14)
What are the steps go integument healing?
3. Tissue repair
What is the skeletal system comprised of?
bones, cartilage, ligaments, tendons and other forms of connective tissue
What are the 3 types of ligaments?
Articular ligaments - "true ligaments" connects bone to bone
Peritoneal Ligaments - hepatodiodenial ligament, broad ligament, & the sensory ligament of the uterus
Fetal remnant ligaments - umbilical ligaments
Grazing animals have 2 large elastic ligaments in their neck called the _____
What are the 3 types of cartilage?
1. Hayline cartilage
2. Elastic cartilage
Explain hyaline cartilage
forms most of the cartilage in an animal
Blue/white in color
The interstitial matrix in hyaline cartilage is comprised of a mixture of mucopolysaccharides and mucoproteins
Collagen fibers make up ~40% of hyaline cartilage matrix
Explain Elastic cartilage
pinnae (outer ear)
more flexible than hyaline and also contains another extracellular protein; elastin that forms meshwork fibers.
found at the sites of origin and insertion of many of the larger ligaments onto bone
found within the intervertebral discs and the symphysis of the pubis and sites of bone repair.
type II collagen
What are the 2 main parts of the skeleton?
What is the axial skeleton comprised of?
vertebral column, ribs, sternum, and skull
What is the appendicular skeleton comprised of?
the bones of the limbs, including the pelvic girdle and scapulae
What are the skeletal functions?
1. Physical support
2. Protection of soft tissue
3. Manufactures blood cells, in the marrow cavity
4. Function in mineral storage and blood plasma ion balance
5. Facilitates movement and locomotion
Classification of bones by shape
1. _____ - longer than they are wide, with enlarged extremities bearing articular structures (femur, metacarpals)
2. _____- generally cube shaped (carpals, tarsals)
3. _____- thin and flattened (sternum, ribs, scapula)
4. _____- complex, irregular shape (vertebrae)
5. _____- small bones embedded in tendon (patella)
1. Long bones
2. Short bones
3. Flat bones
4. Irregular bones