Flashcards in Causes of Korean War Deck (16)
1. Why did the USA distrust the USSR by the 1949?
USSR had taken over many Eastern European countries
2. How much had the US given Chiang Kai Shek to sop the Communists in China?
3. Once Chiang had lost China to the Communists in 1949 where did he have to flee to?
Formosa also known as Taiwan
4. What was the Truman Doctrine?
The US policy to contain (stop the spread) of communism also known as containment.
5. Who was the communist leader of China?
6. Who was the leader of DPRK after it was set up in 1949?
Kim II Sung
7. How many communist sympathisers lived in the south?
8. Who was the leader of the RoK after it was set up in August 1948?
9. Why did Stalin agree to help the DPRK after 1949?
China had become communist and he wanted to show Mao who was the most powerful communist leader or he wanted to get his own back against the Americans for the failed Berlin Blockade.
10. How many pieces of artillery did Stalin give the DPRK in 1950?
11. How many T34 tanks did Stalin give the DPRK in 1950?
12. How many military aircraft did Stalin give the DPRK in 1950?
13. Why did China get involved with Korea in November 1950?
Pressure from Stalin
14. What did Truman send to Korean waters following the North's invasion of the South?
Warships and advisors
15.Why was the USSR boycotting the Security Council of the UN in 1950?
UN had failed to recognise Communist takeover of China. The UN did not recognise Communist China until 1971.