Flashcards in Escalation of Vietnam War Brainscape Deck (34)
1.What group did Ho Chi Minh form to fight the Japanese and then the French?
2. How much money did the US provide to France to fight against the communists?
$500 million per year
3. What was the name of the battle lost by the French in 1954?
Dien Bien Phu
4. What agreement was signed in 1954 which split Vietnam in half along the 17th parallel?
The Geneva Agreement
5. Who was put in place to rule the Republic of South Vietnam?
6. What three reasons were there for why he was disliked?
Harsh to peasants, treated Buddhists badly and corrupt.
7. Which 66 year old monk burnt himself to death in protest?
Thich Quang Duc
8. How much money did the USA give the corrupt Republic of South Vietnam in the 1950s?
9. What organisation was set up in 1960 to fight against the corrupt government of the south?
The National Front for the Liberation of South Vietnam (Viet Cong)
10. What did JFK introduce in 1962 aimed at keeping the peasants away from Communism?
The Strategic Hamlet Relocation Programme
11. How many non-military advisors were there in Vietnam by 1962 and 1964?
11,500 and 23,000
12. Where were US boats attacked by the Viet Cong in August 1964?
The Gulf of Tonkin
13. How many US marines arrived at Da Nang in March 1965?
14. What was the name of the theory which thought that Vietnam becoming Communist might lead to other countries also falling to Communism?
15. How many soldiers did the VC and NVA have by 1965?
16. What was the tactics called where the VC stayed close to US troops to reduce the impact of bombing?
Hanging on to American belts
17. What percentage of US casualties were caused by VC booby traps?
18. How long were the tunnel complexes used by the VC?
19. How many Vietnamese civilians provided supplies for the VC by using the Ho Chi Minh Trail?
20. What was the total amount of aid provided to the North Vietnamese by China and the USSR?
21. What was the name of the bombing campaign that started in February 1965?
Operation Rolling Thunder
22. How many US helicopters were destroyed?
23. How much did it cost, according to Life Magazine, to kill one Viet Cong?
24. How many tonnes of Napalm were dropped between 1965-73?
25. How many litres of Agent Orange were used during the war?
82 million litres
26. What percentage of US casualties were caused by booby traps?
27. What were search and destroy missions informally known as?
28. What was the name of the village which witnessed the massacre of 400 people in March 1968?
29. Who was put in prison as a result of this massacre?