Flashcards in Ch. 3 - Apparatus Safety and Operating Emergency Vehicles Deck (183)
The Standard for Fire Fighter Professional Qualifications is NFPA?
In order to meet the intent of NFPA 1002, Standard for Fire Apparatus Driver/Operator Professional Qualifications, candidates must have successfully completed a?
Firefighter I or equivalent course
Driver/Operators should possess the following abilities and skills:
* _________ skills
* ___________ skills
* __________ skills
* ___________ skills
* _________ fitness
* ________ acuity
* Adequate __________
A periodic medical evaluation, in accordance with NFPA _____, should be administered under the direction of the AHJ in order to establish and maintain D/O fitness for duty.
NFPA 1500, Standard on Fire Department Occupational Safety and Health Program
Which NFPA standard provides standards on vision and hearing a D/O should possess?
NFPA 1582, Standard on Comprehensive Occupational Medical Program for Fire Departments
In the United States who establishes the basic requirements for licensing a driver?
the federal Department of Transportation (DOT)
In Canada who has authority to license drivers?
Transport Canada (TC)
D/O should be aware they are subject to all traffic regulations when driving under?
non emergency conditions
__________ of the law does not limit your liability for failing to follow it.
Most driving regulations pertain to what type of conditions?
dry, clear roads during daylight conditions
D/O must adjust their speed to compensate for road conditions, such as?
rain, snow, fog or darkness that may make driving more hazardous
Statutes may exempt emergency vehicles from driving regulations that apply to the general public if they are responding to a reported emergency using their audible and visual warning devices. These exemptions could include the following:
- Speed limits
- Direction of travel
- Direction of turns
- Parking statutes and ordinances
Legal decisions have held that D/O who does not obey state, local, or departmental driving regulations can be subject for?
civil or criminal prosecution if the fire apparatus is involved in an accident. The organization that they represent may also be held responsible.
For example, in most jurisdictions, fire apparatus are not exempt from laws that require a vehicle to stop for a?
school bus when it's flashing red lights indicate that it is loading or unloading students
The D/O is not protected from legal consequences of driving with _________ _________ for the safety of others.
- An act of proceeding to do something with a conscious awareness of danger, while ignoring any potential consequences of so doing.
_________ _________, while not necessarily suggesting intent to cause harm, is a harsher condition than ordinary negligence.
- Breach of duty in which a person or organization fails to perform at the standard required by law, or that would be expected by a reasonable person under similar circumstances.
- Willful and wanton disregard
- D/O drive with "_____ _______" for the safety of others using the highways. State vehicle codes provide and give privileges to the operators of emergency vehicles; however this does not relieve the operator from the duty and responsibility to drive with "_____ _______" for the safety of others.
Due regard / due regard / due regard
The Standard for Fire Apparatus Driver/Operator Professional Qualifications is NFPA?
The D/O most important responsibility is to?
operate the apparatus safely during routine driving and while responding to emergency calls
The most common place for a collision to occur is at?
A fire apparatus D/O should maintain _________ _________ in order to lower the chances of being involved in a collision with a object, pedestrian, or vehicle.
- Perception of ones surrounding environment and the ability to anticipate future events.
In general, fire apparatus collisions are grouped into seven basic causes which reflect the lack of due regard and situational awareness.
1. Improper backing
2. Reckless driving
3. Excessive speed
4. Lack of driving skill and experience
5. Overloading and misuse
6. Mechanical failure
7. Driver/operator personal readiness
D/O should develop a _______-__________ attitude.
- Loss of braking function which occurs due to excessive use of the brakes.
_____________ brake components lose their ability to stop the vehicle, regardless of the configuration of the braking system.