Flashcards in Chapter 18 - Stabilizing the Apparatus Deck (14):
By deploying the apparatus stabilizers, the base of stability for the aerial apparatus is effectively ___________.
Even if the device is only raised a few feet from the cradle to open a tilt cab, place the ___________ in position to minimize or eliminate stress on the ____________.
stabilizers / suspension
Rotating the device 360 degrees will trace a ________ ________.
As long as this ________ ________ does not extend outside the base of stability, the apparatus should remain stable.
- Theoretical safety zone that surrounds the center of gravity on an aerial apparatus.
Newer apparatus may be equipped with ________ switches that prevent the movement of the aerial device to the short jacked side.
limit (rotational interlocks)
If the apparatus is parked on a ________ grade, the center of gravity (and theoretical gravity circle) will be shifted to the _______ side.
lateral grade / lower
If the aerial device is raised over the lower side, the Gravity circle may extend beyond the base of ____________.
______________ the aerial device can also have an adverse effect on the stability of the apparatus, even on a level surface with stabilizers fully deployed.
Excessive _________ on the aerial device will result in an expansion of the gravity circle.
Some of the more common stabilizers are:
* _______-______ stabilizers (also called downriggers) - Straight jacks that extend down from the chassis.
* ______ ______________ (also called H stabilizers) - Stabilizers that extend straight away from the truck and have jacks that extend straight down to the ground.
* ___-______, scissor, or ____-style stabilizers (also called fulcrum-type stabilizers) - Stabilizers that extend down and away from the chassis at an angle.
* Box stabilizers
* A-frame, scissor, or X-style
__________ stabilizers are similar to box-type hydraulic stabilizers. They consist of an extension ______ that has a _______ _______ attached to the end of the arm.
Manual / arm / screw jack
Using manual stabilizers:
The primary difference is that the driver/operator must swing the ___________ _______ into position manually; in addition he or she must manually turn the _______ _______ attached to the arm to lower the stabilizer.
extension arm / screw jack