Flashcards in Chapter 14 Deck (18)
Ospedale degli Innocenti
- Established in 1445 to deal with large numbers of abandoned children in Florence by the poor and lower classes as well as the children born out of wedlock
- more than 2/3s were girls
- higher than normal death rate
What book did Niccolo Machiavelli write and why was it important?
- author of The Prince
- first treatment of science to discuss the acquisition and exercise of power without reference to an ultimate moral or ethical end
What empire did Venice rule?
- Extensive colonial empire from Adriatic to Aegean Sea
- Merchants sailed the Mediterranean, Atlantic Coast, and Black Sea; Christian Pilgrimages to Palestine were booked on their ships
Who was the most important family in Florence around 1430?
What did the Medici do?
- Ran a bank handling Papal Finances
- Fell from power in 1490s, rose again in 1512-1527, came to power again in 1530
- in 1530 made Florence a Duchy
What is a Duchy?
A state ruled by Dukes
The military state that was the most power 15th century (Renaissance) Italian Principality
Who was Francesco Sforza? Who did he marry?
- In Milan (1400s)
- Married the illegitimate daughter of the last of the Visconti family
- Promoted to general to protect Milan after the end of the Visconti, but seized power
What were the Papal States?
- Ruled by corrupt church officials
Renaissance Naples was ruled by?
What did Bernard du Rosier publish?
- The first diplomatic handbook
What did Burgundy do during the Renaissance?
- take over more land by means of purchases, inheritance, and conquests
Henry VI was known as what kind of monarch?
Weak and mentally unstable
What was the victor of the War of the Roses?
- The Tudors, Henry VII
What are Conversos?
Jewish converts to Christianity
What did Mattthias Corvinus do?
- Hungarian King
- Patron of Arts and Humanist
- Created a great library
The first Czar was: