Flashcards in Chapter 2: Personal Protective Equipment, Hazards and Hazard Mitigation Deck (91)
Standard Operating Procedure (SOP)
Formal methods or rules to guide the performance of routine functions or emergency operations. Procedures are typically written in a handbook, so that al firefighters can consult and become familiar with them.
Foot protection should provide the best protection against likely hazards that the rescuers will encounter:
heat, punctures, and impact
NFPA requires that rescue personnel wear ____ if they are likely to contact bodily fluids during a vehicle extrication.
medical exam gloves inside their leather or extrication gloves
The actual duration of respiratory support provided by a SCBA bottle depends on ____
the individual wearer's physiological and psychological conditioning.
What are the types of Air-purifying respirators
* Particulate removing
* Vapor and gas removing
* Combination particulate removing and vapor and gas removing
Canister or cartridge respirators pass air through a ____, ____, or ____ to remove specific contaminants from the air.
filter, sorbent, or combination of these
APR's should be worn only in ____ where the hazards present are ____ and at least ____ percent oxygen is present.
* controlled atmospheres
* completely understood
Responders should be able to answer the following questions before deciding to use APR's
* What is the hazard?
* Is the hazard a vapor or gas?
* Is the hazard a particle or dust?
* Is there some combination of dust and vapors present?
* What concentration levels are present?
What are the three primary limitations of APR's?
* Limited life of its filters and canisters
* Need for constant monitoring of the contaminated atmosphere
* Need for a normal oxygen content of the atmosphere before use
Many vehicle hazards can be grouped into what two categories?
* Hazards from energy sources
* Hazards from beneficial systems
Isolate and manage conventional fuel systems using the following techniques:
* Place wheel chocks in front of and behind tires preventing unexpected movement
* Apply the emergency brake
* If the vehicle has an automatic transmission
- Place the gear selector in park
- Turn off the ingnition
- Remove the key
* If the vehicle has a manual transmission
- Turn off the ignition
- Remove the key
- Place the gear shift in the lowest gear
* Eliminate any ignition sources
If a vehicle is equipped with a smart key system and rescuers are unable to disable the 12 volt battery, ____
locate and remove the key from the area surrounding the vehicle. Be aware of the potential for a second smart key.
An alternative fuel is ____
a fuel that is not entirely derived from petroleum products.
Examples of alternative fuels
* Propane/ liquefied petroleum gas (LPG)
* Natural gas
* Auxiliary fuel cells
* Alcohol/ gasoline blended mixtures
* Aircraft fuel
When dealing with alternative fuels, rescuers have to exercise further mitigation techniques.
* Monitor the atmosphere
* Stay clear of vapor clouds
* Once the vehicle is secured and ignition sources are eliminated
- locate, access, and manually turn off the fuel at the tank shut-off valve.
Hybrid electric vehicles may contain as much as ____ of DC current
Rescuers should always assume that every hybrid electric vehicle is ____ despite a lack of engine noise.
The most desirable method for disabling a hybrid electric vehicle is to ____
shut down the vehicle with the switch and key system.
Disconnecting or cutting the 12 volt negative and positive battery cables in a hybrid electric car will ____
open relays to isolate the high voltage system.
Defoggers can ____ during window removal.
produce sparks or shock a person
Laminated safety glass consists of ____
two sheets of glass bonded to a sheet of plastic sandwiched between them.
Impact with Laminated safety glass produces ____. In addition ____ created from cutting this glass creates respiratory hazards.
* multiple long, pointed shards with sharp edges.
* any fine dust
Tempered glass is most commonly used in ____
side windows, and some rear windows.
Crushable bumpers are not a hazard until ____
the fire is out.
When ____ cool after being exposed to the heat of a fire, beads of a clear liquid form on their surface. This liquid appears to be water but is actually ____.
* crushable bumpers
* concentrated hydrofluoric acid
Magnesium vehicle components:
* alloy wheels
* Valve covers
* Steering columns
* Mounting brackets on antilock braking systems
* Transmission casings
* Engine blocks
* Frame supports
* Exterior body components
Beneficial vehicle systems are:
any system or component of a vehicle that provides benefit to and/ or enhances the safety and comfort of the vehicle occupants.
The safest manner in which to deal with SRS devices is ____
to give them space.
The ABC's of dealing with SRS:
* Always respect the deployment path of any type of airbag, rollover protection system, or SRS.
* Be aware that there is no way to make an undeployed airbag, ROPS, or SRS safe.
* Caution must be paramount in cutting or manipulating any vehicle equipped with airbags, ROPS, or SRS.