Child Abuse and Neglect Flashcards
how many cases of child abuse are reported each year?
how many kids die every day due to abuse?
which types of kids are the most vulnerable to abuse?
-youngest children (70% that die are under 4)
which type of injuries are the most common for child abuse?
- craniofacial, head, face, neck are more than half the cases
- all stuff that you look at on a daily basis
where does child abuse occur?
EVERY socioeconomic level, across ethnic and cultureal lines, within all religions, and all educational levels
kids that were abused are more likely to what?
- teen pregnancy
- sexual risk taking
- substance problem
- psychological disorder
- criminal activity
what are the risk factors for child abuse?
- family violence
- psychological factors in guardian
- substance abuse by guardian
- family distress
- child with special needs
- single parent
what is abuse?
- causes non-accidental physical injury
- uses a child for sexual purposes or involves a child in sexual acts
- harms a child’s mental or social development or causes severe emotional harm
what are the borders of the “triangle of safety”
- ears, side of face, neck, top of shoulders
* injuries in this area are most likely abuse
what are the most common types of injuries in abused children
*these are also the most common type of injury in NON-abused child so be careful of rushing to conclusions
% of kids with bruising inc with what?
so if an infant come in with bruising know that it was probably not bc they fell down the stairs…
where are the NON-INTENTIONAL areas of bruising?
- vertex of chin
- bony prominences are by accident
- soft tissue areas are by intent
can a bruise be dated by color?
no, everyone is different, but:
- red/blue/purple are recent
- yellow/brown/green are older
“assessment of the age of a bruise in children is inaccuarte and has no scientific basis
what is the pattern of bruising with a hand?
impact of the hand forces blood into nearby capillaries causing them to rupture
-result is an outline of the fingers/hand
what is the pattern of bruising for inflexible objects
- may produce short linear bruises
- bruising refects impact in one plane and does not follow curvature of body
- may lead to ecchymosis that have no definable pattern