Flashcards in Collecting and Processing Evidence Deck (40)
- Chronic Alarm Abuser Program when 3 or more alarms within a 3 month period were determined to be unfounded or unnecessary.
- If founded, conduct preliminary investigation to that crime; if unfounded or unnecessary, contact the dispatcher and prepare “Notice of unnecessary alarm. (10-90N) ”
- Serve original copy to person qualified to receive it, all others go to desk officer.
-If unfounded or unnecessary; notify dispatcher and prepare “Notice of unnecessary alarm”: Place original copy in mailbox, under door, turn in remaining copies to desk officer.
Burglary Investigations (Radio Code 10-21 or 10-31)
-If the burglary is confirmed, the responding officers will request:
The patrol supervisor;
Evidence Collection Team.
- Plainclothes units will not enter locations where a break in has been detected. Uniformed members will conduct searches for perpetrators inside the establishment under the direction of the patrol supervisor.
- Find out how the entry was made, the time of entry and the manner in which the burglary was committed
- You will record the results of the canvass in the “Details” portion of the Complaint Report Worksheet.
- list items taken and brief history of important items taken
Sex Crime Investigations
- The first officer on the scene should safeguard the crime scene and request the response of the Patrol Supervisor, if possible, allow same gender officer to talk to victim.
- Protect the victim’s identity; the identity of a sex offense victim will not be released to the public.
- Extreme patience and compassion must be exercised in such situations; the need to ask graphic and detailed questions must be explained to the victim; attempt to build a sound helping relationship with the victim.
- victims of sex offenses be interviewed in a private setting.
- The preservation of evidence in sex offense cases is extremely important; the victim should not wash or douche, brush teeth, use mouthwash, etc.
- The identity of a sex offense victim will not be released to the public.
Sex Crime Kits
- Sexual offense evidence collection kit: used when they know they were raped; 72 hours; bring to precinct of occurrence; prepare a 61 and P.C.I.; once it is sealed, it may only be broken by authorized M.O.S.
- Drug facilitator kit: used when drugs are involved & doesn’t know if raped, 96 hours, goes to medical examiner.
- Preserve the crime scene; prevent unauthorized persons; detain witnesses; preserve the integrity of the evidence.
- Most physically and psychologically challenging of all criminal investigations.
- All DOA’s should be treated as suspicious until further investigation is conducted; all DOA’s require a notification to the Desk Officer, Patrol Supervisor, and Precinct Detective Squad.
- The area where a crime was committed including routes to and from the location where additional evidence may be found; established to safeguard evidence and detain witnesses for further investigation; speed is an essential element as the condition of the crime scene may deteriorate quickly.
- Crime scene should initially be very large and may be reduced as an investigation progresses; determined by the first officer on the scene; size may only be changed by authorization of the Detective Bureau Duty Captain.
- If an incident occurred inside on room, the entire premises should be considered the crime scene.
- The first officer at a crime scene is in charge of it until the arrival of a supervisor or detective; do not touch anything for the most part; any alteration to a crime scene should only be done in an absolute emergency.
- If a firearm is present at the scene, as long is it presents no immediate danger it should not be touched, if it must be moved, grab with two fingers on grip and place in the trunk of an RMP.
- Log in people entering crime scene into your activity log.
PETS property categories
- Arrest evidence
- DNA arrest evidence
- DNA investigatory
- Decedent’s property
- Peddlers Property
- Found property
- Determine true owner
- Parking enforcement
- Photo release
- Rotation tow
Find my iphone
- Ascertain if they have access to Apple’s “iCloud” AND have previously activated the device and have turned on the “location services” of said device.
- DO NOT wipe or lock the device without the authority of the assigned case detective.
- The first responsibility of the responding officer is to aid the victim.
- All assault cases require that you interview the complainant.
- Once a description has been obtained, an alarm should be transmitted via radio.
Crime Scence Unit (BARF H)
b. Forcible rape
c. Robbery or hijacking with injury caused by firearm
d. Aggravated assault with dangerous instrument and victim likely to die
e. Burglaries involving forced safes or circumvented alarms
f. Any other crime in which the services of the Crime Scene Unit would be
needed to assist in the investigation.
Includes the crime scene and the immediate surrounding area.
- outer perimeter is to attempt to apprehend perpetrators, identify witnesses, and prevent physical evidence from being inadvertently removed
- an outer perimeter of a four-block area would not be considered unreasonable
Chain of Custody
a record of the persons who have handled, examined or stored the evidence. The chain of custody begins when the evidence is discovered and continues until the time it is presented in court. It is best to make the chain as short as possible,
- DNA is a powerful tool because each person’s DNA is different from every other individual’s, except for identical twins.
- DNA is contained in blood, semen, skin cells, tissue, organs, muscle, brain cells, bone, teeth, hair, saliva, mucus, perspiration, fingernails, urine, feces, etc.
Storing of Property
The property room;
The narcotics/controlled substances locker;
The gun locker;
Property Clerk storage facilities.
- DO NOT use "pairs" or "sets" when invoicing property
- When describing jewelry, you will use the type, design, color of metal, color of stones, inscription/markings. Since we are not jewelers, we use general descriptions (example: a gold ring would be listed as a “yellow metal” ring).
-PLASTIC SECURITY ENVELOPES,
-JEWELRY SECURITY ENVELOPES,
-NARCOTICS EVIDENCE ENVELOPES,
-SECURITY LEAD SEALS
-AND PROPERTY CLERK DIVISION SEALS
Security Lead Seals
Without serial numbers (i.e., jewelry, firearms, etc.);
Without identifying marks;
Difficult to describe;
small property items
Property Clerk Division Seals
– Used for securing unlicensed peddler’s food and/or property. (also known as a “Plastic Security Seal”)
Property That Requires a Separate Invoice
1. Different property type
2. Different property categories;
3. Different owners;
4. Property that will be delivered to different locations
5. Bloodstain, DNA, serology, or other biological evidence.
invoiced separately from other property and be placed in a Jewelry Security Envelope.
Should be placed in a clean, airtight, metal or glass container, sealed with evidence tape, delivered to the Police Laboratory
corked closed and secured, around the opening, with evidence tape. The container can be placed in a Plastic Security Envelope.
Bloodstains/Serology/DNA/Other Biological Evidence
should be packaged in paper bags or boxes. Do not seal in a Plastic Security Envelope. must be delivered to the Police Laboratory
- Document Fraud Squad.
- checks, bank robbery notes, and harassing letters.
Hair and Fiber
If the evidence is wet or bloodstained, or has other serological or biological evidence thereon, it should be placed in a sealed paper bag
should be placed in a plastic bag
the key to that lock must also be invoiced and submitted to the Laboratory.
Sexual Offense Evidence Collection Kit
used by physicians in hospitals to gather evidence from a victim of a sex offense. If the sexual offense occurred within the previous 72 hours
Drug Facilitated Sexual Assault Blood and Urine Specimen Collection Kit
suspected that the sexual offense is drug facilitated within 96 hours
Processing Computer Evidence
- Plastic Security Envelopes should not be used when invoicing floppy disks
- invoice all computer related evidence, which are to be delivered to Computer Crimes Squad separately from other property being invoiced.
- valued at ten dollars or more is required to be reported to and deposited with the police.
- If property is turned in at command, the command clerk will prepare the Property Clerk Invoice. The command clerk will print and give the finder the appropriate copy of the Property Clerk Invoice as receipt.
- Collision Information Exchange/Acknowledgment of Found Property
- Enter facts in your Activity Log.
- each denomination will be given a separate item number, and the quantity of each denomination will be entered. U.S. coins, however, will be entered as a single item,
1964 or prior, and extremely old bills.
special markings and/or special packaging such as:
Bills placed in frames;
Bills taped on store walls;
Bills marked ("Happy 5th Birthday Robert"), etc.
Currency will not be stamped if (S.N.U.F.B.)
Processing Controlled Substances
Narcotics Evidence Envelope and then placed into a Plastic Security Envelope
- A firearm which is part of a shooting should not be touched, moved, or disturbed unless absolutely necessary.
- If a firearm is unfamiliar or it appears to be difficult to unload, safeguard it in its original condition and notify the desk officer. Do not attempt to unload it.
Properly “Marking” Firearms and Firearm-Related EvidenceFirearm
Firearm - numbered “1”
Magazine - numbered “2”
Cartridge in the chamber - numbered “3”
Cartridges in the magazine - numbered “4” through “7” 3 shell casings - numbered “8” through “10”
Fired bullet - numbered “11”