Flashcards in COSHH Deck (4)
What does COSHH require from employers?
- To control exposures to hazardous substances.
- To protect both employees and others who may be exposed from work activities..
What is a hazardous substance?
Anything that can harm your health when you work with them if they are not properly controlled.
What must employers do in relation to hazardous substances?
- What are the hazardous substances in the workplace.
- What are the risks to people's health.
- Decide upon the precautions needed before work starts.
- Prevent people's exposure to hazardous substances. If this is not reasonably practicable, then they must CONTROL the exposure.
- Control measures are used and maintained, safety procedures are followed.
- Monitor exposure of employees.
- Carry out health surveillance if required.
- Prepare plans and procedures to deal with accidents, incidents and emergencies.
- Make sure employees are properly informed, trained and supervised.