Flashcards in Endocrine - Pancreas Deck (12)
what do the beta cells in the pancreas secrete?
what do the alpha cells in the pancreas secrete?
what do the delta cells in the pancreas secrete?
what do the PP cells (F cells) in the pancreas release?
what does somatostatin do?
- inhibits digestive system by inhibiting digestion of nutrients and decreases nutrient absorption
- also decreases secretion of insulin, glucagon and somatostatin itself
when is somatostatin released?
in response to increased blood glucose and blood amino acids during absorption of a meal
is insulin anabolic or catabolic?
what does insulin promote?
1. glucose uptake into cells
2. glycogen synthesis
3. lipid synthesis
4. protein synthesis by increasing amino acid uptake
how is glucose transported between the blood and cells?
by means of a plasma membrane carrier known as glucose transporter (GLUT)
what does glucagon do?
- releases glucose and elevates blood glucose
- stimulates gluconeogensis
- stimulates lipolysis (increase glycerol utilization and decrease triglyceride synthesis)
- inappropriate hyperglycemia due deficiency of insulin or reduction in effectiveness of insulin