Flashcards in Ethanol Deck (12):
What hydrocarbon can be used to make ethanol?
1. Ethene is hydrated with steam
2. In the presence of an acid catalyst
What is the process of using ethene to make ethanol called?
What are the 2 processes to make ethanol?
What is the advantage of hydration?
It is a CHEAP process- ethene's fairly cheap and NOT much is WASTED
What is the disadvantage/ future problems involving hydration?
Ethene's produced from crude oil- which is NON-RENEWABLE
Therefore hydration will become very EXPENSIVE
What is the RAW MATERIAL for fermentation?
What is the CATALYST for fermentation?
What is the word equation for fermentation using sugar?
sugar -> carbon dioxide + ethanol
What are 5 advantages of fermentation over hydration?
1. Lower temp. - less energy - cheaper
2. Simpler equipment - easier
4. Grown as a major crop in many parts of the world
5. Sugar cain is carbon neutral
What are disadvantages of fermentation?
1. Large areas of land needed - leads to destruction of habitats
2. Land could be used for food - could lead to food shortages / higher food prices - problem with increasing world pop.
3. Has to be purified - expensive