Flashcards in Evidence Based Practice Deck (10)
What evidence is there for breathing exercises in COPD?
Holland et al 2012
- Breathing exercises over 4-15 weeks improves functional exercise capacity in COPD patients compared to no intervention, but no consistent effects on dyspnoea or QOL
What evidence is there for IMT?
Shoemaker et al 2009
- IMT appears to improve dyspnoea, walking test & QOL in COPD patients
Hill et al 2010
- Chronic COPD IMT prescription
What evidence is there for pursed lipped breathing?
- Acute increase in exercise capacity (6 min walk test) in stable COPD patients
What evidence is there for PEP?
Johnston & James 2013
- Written survey, found regularly employed for people with cardiorespiratory conditions
What evidence is there for the criteria for PPCs?
Scholes et al 2009
- Outlined 5 predictors for high risk of PPC
- Anaesthetic time, surgery type, respiratory co-morbidity, smoker, predicted VO2 max
What evidence is there for mobilisation for abdominal surgery patients?
Mackay et al 2005
- addition of DB and coughing exercises to early mobilisation does not significantly reduce incidence of clinically significant PPCs
Haines et al 2013
- Patients 3 times more likely to develop PPCs for each day they did not mobilise away from bed
What evidence is there for pre-op physio in cardiac surgery patients?
Snowden et al 2014
- Pre-op intervention (IMT, education, exercise and relaxation) reduces LOS in pts >63yo, risk of PPCs & time to extubation
What evidence is there for deep breathing exercises in cardiac surgery patients?
Brasher et al 2013
- Addition of DB exercises does not significantly alter patient outcomes
- No significant difference in PPCs, LOS, oxyhaemoglobin saturation & pulmonary function
What evidence is there for mobilisation for acutely ill patients?
Stiller & Phillips 2003 (lit review)
- Assess if the potential risks outweigh the benefits to establish when considering mobilisation