Flashcards in Foetal Development Deck (11)
- 4mm long, blocks of mesodermal tissue that will become muscles and vertebrae of spine.
- 3 clefts of throat become face, throat, and associated glands.
- Arm and leg buds appear.
End of 8th week
- Embryo has recognisable human form and is called a foetus. All organs present.
- Increases in size
- Maturation of the organ systems
- Head grows proportionally smaller whilst limbs grow longer.
- Fingernails, toenails, and hair appear.
- Significant changes in mother.
- Forelimbs well developed.
- Eyelids closed.
- Outer ear completed.
- Bone marrow formed.
- Blood cells in bone marrow.
- Sex distinguishable.
- Arms and hands fully shaped
- Skeleton completed
- Exercising of muscles evident.
- Fine hair covers body
- Gripping reflexes developed.
- Increased growth.
- Respiratory movements
- Digestive glands begin functioning.
- Tooth buds evident.
- Eyebrows and eyelashes.
- Period of greatest growth.
- All system function except respiratory.
- Accumulation of fat beneath skin.
- Growth slowed.