Flashcards in Fertilisation Deck (9)
- Requires erection of penis.
- Male orgasm involves contraction of vas deferens, epididymis, and associated glands after ejaculation.
- When sperm enters the uterus, this is called insemination.
- Fertilisation occurs in the uterine tube, but can also occur in the uterus.
Secondary Oocyte during ovulation is surrounded by 2 layers
- Corona Radiata made of follicle cells cemented by acidic material.
- Zona Pellucida is a glycoprotein surrounding oocyte membrane.
- Outer layers i.e. skin, hair, nails, cornea, receptor cells of sensory organs, epithelium of openings, nervous system.
- Mid-layer organs, i.e. muscles, connectve tissues, lymphoid tissue, endothelium, skin, epithelium of kidneys, gonads, joint cavities.
- Inner organs, i.e. epithelium of alimentary canal, bladder, urethra, respiratory tract.
- Encloses embryo and secretes amniotic fluid. Shock absorber, temperature controlled, free movement.
- Forms from outer layer of cells and becomes the foetal part of the placenta. Attaches to the mother via the chorionic villi. As the amnion enlarges, it fuses with inner layer of chorion.
Yolk sac and Allantois
- Form outer structure of the umbilical cord.