-Turned to Spain for support in 1486, wants to find Western route to Spice Islands.
-1492: I & F decide to support him.
Reasons: War in Granada Over, Want to gain Prestige, Route East blocked by Ottomans.
-Financial cost is low: Only 2 Million Marvedis, low cost compared to Catherine and Arthur’s wedding- Cost 60 Million Marvedis.
Achievements of Voyages 1492-1516:
- 1492: Reaches Bahamas and goes to Hispaniola, thought he’d reached Spice Islands.
- By 1499 it was clear ‘New World’ reached, others made explorations.
Establishing Spanish Claim To New Lands
- Pope issued Papal Bulls, Most Important = Inter Caetara 1493: confirms Spanish rights to New Lands.
- TREATY OF TORDESILLAS 1494: Spain agrees to move line marking their territory further West for Portugal. Portugal now has Brazil.
- Mainly settled in Hispaniola
- 1st Spanish City: Santo Domingo 1496.
- Spaniards forced locals into labour, many died from new disease and poor labour conditions.
- Settlers died from climate and malnutrition.
1500: I & F forbid slavery & declare natives ‘Free vassals of the Crown’.
1512: Laws of Burgos: Set code for dealing with Natives.
1503: Central Trading Office in Seville set up.
- Council of the Indies set up.
- Laws of Burgos being ignored, hard to control area from Spain.