Reasons For War
Border wars between Castile and Granada for many years.
in 1481, the Moors capture of Andalusia gave Isabella and Ferdinand excuse for campaign, stressing the crusading aspect and reconquest of Moors lands.
Pope helped finance war effort:
allowed them to keep Cruzada (papal tax) & granted indulgences e.g. gift of large silver cross, carried by army throughout war.
War expensive, had to increase taxes and take out loans.
Nobility supplied forces e.g. 1489 Cardinal Mendoza gave 1000 horse & 1000 foot soldiers.
- War lasted 10yrs, men came to fight from across Spain.
- Ended when Granada was captured
- Christians used heavy artillery e.g. Launched Firebombs in Cannons.
- Moors allowed to keep own dress, religion, customs and property.
- Out of original 500,000 Moors: 100,000 died in war, 200,000 emigrated and 200,000 remained.
- Pope gave I&F title of ‘Catholic Monarchs’
- However, there was a loss of Trade in North Africa.