Flashcards in Glandular Epithelia Deck (7):
What are glands?
A single cell or complex organ that secretes
- usually cuboidal or columnar epithelia
Tell me 3 things about Endocrine glands.
1. They produce hormones.
2. They are ductless.
3. They secrete by exocytosis into interstitial fluid - blood
Where can I find Endocrine glands?
In scattered cells in digestive tract, pancreas, or organs such as thyroid or the pituitary gland.
Tell me 3 things about Exocrine glands.
1. Produce sweat, saliva, mucus, tears, oil, milk. bile, etc.
2. Secrete through ducts onto a surface or cavity.
3. They are classified by mode of secretion and the number or shape of the cells.
What should I know about Merocrine glands?
They release by exocytosis and are the most common Exocrine gland. Some examples are the merocrine sweat gland and the mucous gland.
What should I know about Apocrine glands?
They are an Exocrine gland and they shed the apical portion of their cell, and example would be lipid droplets by mammary glands.