What is the hand position for the Becker Contact?
Thumbs, index, middle-pinky, and palms
1. Thumbs - rest on greater wing of sphenoid
2. Index - rest on the mastoid processes
3. Middle to pinky - rest on occiput w/ middle finger posterior to OM sututre
4. Palms - cup occiput and posterior aspect of parietals
What is the correct setup for the Frontal Occipital Contact?
- One hand cups the occiput
- Long or little finger of other hand on one greater wing of the sphenoid with the thumb on opposite greater wing
- Rest caudal elbow on table
What are the coupled motions (flexion/extension) of the sphenoid and occiput seen with a superior vertical strain?
- Flexion at the sphenoid
- Extension at the occiput
*Both bones rotate about 2 transverse axes in the same direction
During cranial flexion/extension the ethmoid mirrors the motion of?
Mirrors occiput motion
*Vowels move togther
During cranial flexion/extension the vomer mirrors the motion of?
Mirrors sphenoid motion
*Sphenoid drives the Vomer
What is the action of the vomer on the hard palate during SBS flexion?
Depresses the hard palate (aka flattens roof of mouth)
Which direction do the greater wings of the sphenoid move during flexion?
- Flexion = anterior and inferior
- Extension = posterior and superior
Which direction does the membranous portion of the Occiput move during flexion?
- Flexion = posterior and inferior
- Extension = anterior and superior
What is the normal rate of Cranial Rhythmic Impulse (CRI)?
In healthy individuals the CRI is palpated as moving how?
Longitudinal and symmetric
During Balanced Membranous Tension for the SBS, where is the SBS held and until when?
- Held in the midpoint of the available motion until a still point is obtained (still point = inability to feel CRI)
- Still point maintained until the CRI motion begins to return and is noted to be more symmetrical
Which 2 cranial contacts (holds) can be used for Balanced Membranous Tension (Indirect)?
- Frontal occipital hold
- Vault hold