Flashcards in Lec 75 Mood stabilizers Deck (7)
What is a mood stabilizer?
- intervention effective in treating acute mania and depression
What phases of illness can mood stabilizers treat?
- acute depression
- acute mania
- acute mixed state
- maintenance [prevention depression and mania]
What are pharmacokinetics of lithium?
- GI absorption
- not protein bound
- not metabolized
- filtered at glomerulus and reabsorbed by prox tubule
- excreted in urine
- 1/2 life 20-24 hrs [reaches stead state plasma level 4-5 days]
Which drugs affect lithium excretion?
increase excretion: carb anhydrase inhibitors, osmotic diuretics
decrease excretion: lasix, NSAIDS, tetracycline, cyclosporine, ACE inhibitors
What are side effects of lithium?
lithium --> movement [tremor], Nephrogenic diabetes insipidus, hypOthyroidism, Pregnancy problems
- effect on tubular function, glomerulus, lithium induced nephropathy
How do you treat lithium tox?
stop drug, give IV hydration
may need dialysis