Flashcards in Lec 70 Intro to Psych Deck (10)
What does it mean that DSM5 classification is categorical not dimensional?
= pt either meets diagnostic criteria for disorder or not --> rather than dimensional would allow all individuals to be placed somewhere on spectrum from normal to abnormal
What is problem of validity of psych disorders?
- they're based on symptoms not specific structural or functional brain abnormality
- we do know they are strongly heritable
What are the types of psych disorders?
- mood and anxiety disorder
- somatic symptom disorders
- personality disorders
What causes psych disorders?
likely multifactorial = combo of brain dysfunction; genetics; environmental; derailed motivation/desire
What is behavior therapy?
pts repeatedly exposed to dreaded stimulus in order to prevent similar negative response in future
What is cognitive therapy?
pts review evidence in order to learn to think differently
What is interpersonal therapy?
pts learn to adapt to new role
a) are not the product of diseases
b) do not cause death
c) are “psychological” thus not “neurological”
d) are illnesses of unknown etiology
Which is true?
d. illnesses of unknown etiology
- The most common psychiatric disorders are Mood Disorders.
- Psychoses are rare.
- Only those with Schizophrenia are Psychotic
- Many more adults than children have psychiatric disorders
False --> anxiety disorders are most common
False --> bipolar, substance abuse psychosis, etc
False --> rates in children approx equal to adults