The Yang and Yin ____ Vessels link like a network around the body to ______ the _________ Qi that cannot flow into the Main meridians. - Nan Jing
Wei: absorb; overflowing
What does Wei translate to?
- Tie down
- Hold together
What is the function of the Yin Wei Vessel?
The function of the Yin Wei Mai is to tie together all the yin meridians. It controls the Interior of the body (Blood and Yin) and governs Ying (Nutritive) Qi.
Clinical applications of Yin Wei Mai mnemonic?
- Heart (nourish)
- CHOp (Chest, Hypochondrium Open)
- BY (Blood, Yin, nourish)
- Pain (ful Obstruction Syndrome) BI
What is your association and treatment mnemonic for Yin Wei?
HEM Fem GEn
(Some of the genital stuff is mental, feeling sores as if they were there but they are not.)
1. Heart nourishing properties of Yin Wei Mai: All of the ancient classics mention "heart pain" as a prominent symptom of the Yin Wei Mai. The heart pain indicated for this vessel would be that manifesting from an _______ condition.... and would present as a ______ ______ in the _______ region.
Empty; dull ache; heart
Sometimes the dull ache in the heart region is a symptom of ________-__________ anguish and the function of _______ the _____ by using ____ is closely linked to nourishing the heart.
mental-emotional; calming; mind; PC6
What points would you choose to nourish the Heart?
2. Chest and Hypochondrium Opening: The Yin Wei Mai also has an important role in ________ and _______ the chest. This is especially indicated when chest _____ occurs against a background of ______ ________ and when the pulse is _______ or ______.
relaxing; opening; ache; Blood Deficiency; Choppy; Fine
What points would you choose for chest and/or hypochondrium opening?
LU7 (opposite side to PC6)
ST40 (opposite side to SP4)
What EOV would you choose to treat chest and hypochondrium pain or tightness if it was a full condition accompanied by digestive issues or other MJ problems?
3. Blood and Yin Nourishing: As the Yin Wei Mai links all the Yin channels it can be used for ___________ of Blood and/or Yin, especially if accompanied by _________ and/or __________ problems.
deficiency; mental; emotional
Which vessels does the Yin Wei Mai channel affect directly?
All Yin channels except the lung channel.
Where does the Yin Wei Mai connect with Ren Mai?
In the throat
A disharmony of the Yin Wei Mai may manifest as ____ of _______ against a background of ____ _________, due to its intersenction with the Ren Mai.
loss; voice; Yin deficiency
When using the Yin Wei vessel to nourish Yin, what points would you choose?
Compare what meridians are influence by Ren, Yin Wei and Yin Qiao.
Ren Mai: Influences all Yin meridians
Yin Wei: Influences all Yin meridians except Lung
Yin Qiao: Influences Leg Yin Channels (LR, KI, SP)
Compare which of the three Energizers are affected by Ren, Yin Wei and Yin Qiao.
Ren Mai: Influences yin channels of upper, middle and lower energizers
Yin Wei: Influences primarily chest and upper energizer
Yin Qiao: Influences lower energizer
Compare the special influnces that Ren, Yin Wei and Yin Qiao have.
- Special influence on lungs
- Best at nourishing Yin
- Special influence on heart
- Especially good at nourshing blood, HT blood
- Does not nourish yin but directs yin to eyes and absorbs excess of yin
4. Painful Obstruction Bi Syndrome
The Yin Wei Mai can be used to treat Bi Syndrome, especially when it occurs against a background of ______ _________ in women; main symptoms manifesting as: ?
- Generalized ache in the joints with numbness and tingling and without any heat or swelling of the joints
What points would you choose for painful obstruction bi syndrome?
LI11 (opposite side to PC6)
ST41 (opposite side to SP4)
The Yin Wei Mai is effective in treating headaches resulting from __________ of _______, particularly if they are at the _____ of the _____.
deficiency; Blood; back; neck
What are Yin Wei headaches usually a result of?
Liver Yang Rising resulting from Liver Blood deficiency
The Yin Wei Mai has a tonifying action on the Heart and nourishes Blood. What symptoms is it especially usefulf for because of this?
.... especially if the symptoms manifest with Blood deficiency and combined with chest oppression.
The emotional-mental symptoms may be treated by Yin Wei particularly if they are combined with what? The Yin Wei Mai is especially indicated in the treatment of which gender?
Blood deficiency and chest oppression.
What points would you choose to treat mental-emotional problems combined with Blood Xu and chest oppression?
GV24 (interchangeable with GV20)
CV4 (tonify KI essence and qi)
SP6 (3 yin crossing)
What points would you choose in the treatment of postnatal depression as a result of Liver and Heart Blood Deficiency?
The Yin Wei Mai influences and links the _____ _____ channels of the leg, therefore it has an influence on the ________ occurring against a background of ____ ___________.
three Yin; genitalia; Yin deficiency
What are the symptoms of Yin Wei Mai female genitalia problems?
- Soreness (due to Yin Xu)
- Feeling as if there are sores but none are visible
What point prescription would you choose for problems of female genitalia?
LR5 (Luo Connecting of LR meridian, travels around genitals)
The Xi Cleft point of Yin Wei Mai is one of the most important points in the body for calming the mind. What point is it and how does it accomplish this?
- Nourish Blood
- Nourish Heart
- Relax Chest
In the context of Bi Syndrome, what is numbness? What is tingling?
Numbness - Blood Xu or Internal Wind
Tingling - Blood Xu
What must be absent to choose Yin Wei Mai as the treatment for Bi Syndrome?
There cannot be any swelling or heat of the joints.