Flashcards in Lesson 4: Intercultural Communication Deck (23)
“happens when individuals interact, negotiate, and create meanings while bringing in their varied cultural backgrounds.”
It is respecting and understanding diversity in communication perspective and practice due to differences in culture, gender, social status and religion.
• Effective intercultural communication
harmony and peace in society.
FACTORS CONSIDERED IN INTERCULTURAL COMMUNICATION
4. SOCIAL STATUS
a set of human-made objective and subjective elements”
that people who share a common language, place of residence and generation use for survival.
importance on implicit or nonverbal messages
communicate and interpret messages explicitly through words
to sexual and social roles played by members of a particular society. It differentiates femininity from masculinity, in social contexts.
competitive, blunt and direct, detached and emphasizes independence
seeks harmony and consensus, polite and indirect, emotional and detailed
characterized by number of years one has lived, or his/her life span. In intercultural
communication, it is considered in regard to perceptions related to one’s generation.
is the relative rank that an individual holds, with rights, duties, and lifestyle, a social hierarchy based on honor and prestige (Encyclopedia Brittanica, 2015)
provides structure, discipline and social participation in a community (Samovar,
et.al, 2010). It guides people in explaining supernatural phenomena in the world (Ababon, et.al,
DEVELOPMENT MODEL OF INTERCULTURAL SENSITIVIT Y ( DMIS)
CHARACTERISTICS OF COMPETENT INTERCULTURAL COMMUNICATOR
1. Flexibility and ability to tolerate high levels of uncertainty
2. Reflectiveness or mindfulness
6. Ability to engage in divergent thinking(or thinking creatively) and system-level thinking
(based on how each one in an organizes influences another)
HOW TO AVOID BIASES IN COMMUNICATION
• Avoid stereotyping
• Change gender norms, and avoid using he, man and others that pertain only to specific gender
• Do not talk down on younger people or elderly.
• Be sensitive to religious practices of others
• Be sensitive at all times
• Do not belittle others capability, cultural practices, and beliefs
1. Smith said he wants working independently because that’s the American way. He brags that the American way is always the best way to do things. He believes in the superiority of his culture. Smith’s behavior is an example of what concept?
When a person has awareness of other’s culture and understands differences in intercultural communication, he/she develops this positive trait/value.
This aspect pertains to circumstances/situations that may cause variations in peoples’ understanding of nonverbal cues.
. Making generalizations or conclusions based on a single encounter or experience with a person from another culture is called what?
Which aspect of cultural differences refers to a group’s expectations from its people?
This happens when the merger of companies become ineffective due to differences in business practices.
Corporate Cultural differences