Flashcards in Lesson 8 - Dispostional Explainations Of Obedience Deck (6)
What is a Dispositional explanation of obedience? Who was it proposed by?
- Adorno (1950)
- Dispositional explanations of behaviour claim that an individuals personality characteristics determine their behaviour
What are Authoritarian Personalities?
- Authoritarian personalities are more likely to obey authority figures
- They have a collection of traits that make them more obedient.
What traits make an authoritarian personality obey?
- Servile towards people of perceived higher status
- Hostile towards people of lower status
- Preoccupied with power
- Inflexible in their beliefs and values
- Conformist and Conventional
- Categorical (us and them)
- Dogmatic (intolerant of ambiguity)
Why do people have authoritarian personalities?
- Recipients of strict/rigid parenting, involving physical punishment (abuse)
- Creating feelings of hostility towards parents
- Feelings displaced onto weaker others or feelings are repressed
- Cannot take anger out on parents so act submissive
- The submissive behaviour is extended to all authority figures
What is the questionnaire that measures authoritarian personalities?
- The F-Scale (Fascism)
- Participants rate how much they agree/disagree with a statement
Such as: ‘obedience and respect for authority are important virtues children should learn’