Flashcards in module 1.3 Deck (8)
Which of the following is NOT a reason that biological psychologists study animals?
• Animal's brains and behavior are often similar to humans.
• Animals are often easier to study than humans.
• Biological psychologists are interested in the animals themselves.
• One does not have to consider ethical issues with animals.
One does not have to consider ethical issues with animals.
Minimalists believe that ...
• all research should be done on animals.
• some animal research is acceptable, but not all.
• no animal research should be considered.
• researchers should use only small animals.
some animal research is acceptable, but not all.
How do most biological psychologists feel regarding the use of animals in research?
• They believe that any animal has the same rights as any humans.
• They will avoid using painful procedures, unless they will directly benefit the animal.
• They are working to replace all animal experimentation with computer simulations.
• They use animals only if the potential benefits to humans outweigh the costs to the animals.
They use animals only if the potential benefits to humans outweigh the costs to the animals.
The function of an Institutional care and Use Committee is to ...
• Evaluate veterinarians who provide care to laboratory animals.
• determine whether research is merely for the benefit of humans.
• evaluate proposed experiments to ensure that they minimize pain and discomfort.
• provide food and water for lab animals, and keep cages clean.
evaluate proposed experiments to ensure that they minimize pain and discomfort
Which of the following is an argument for animal research?
• Animals research is beneficial.
• Animals cannot give informed consent to participate.
• Animals have the same rights as humans.
• Killing animals for scientific gain is murder.
Animals research is beneficial
Which of the following is NOT a strong argument in support of conducting animal research?
• The underlying mechanisms are similar across species.
• Certain ethical restrictions make it impossible to use humans.
• Animals have shorter life spans for studying developmental changes.
• Animals can't give consent to participate in research.
Animals can't give consent to participate in research.
Which statement about most psychological experiments using nonhuman animals is correct?
• Animals are given intense, repeated, inescapable shocks in many experiments.
• Extreme pain and stress are inflicted in attempts to drive the animals insane.
• The research leads to no useful discoveries.
• The research is regulated by animal care committees.
The research is regulated by animal care committees.