Flashcards in Nurse Deck (10):
What does the nurse say, in act 1 scene 3, about falling backwards and what does this show about the nurse?
"Thou wilt fall backwards when thou hast more wit"
- this shows the nurses lusty nature
Give a quote from Act 1 Scene 3 that tells us what the nurses one wish was and how may this wish have affected later scenes in the play
"I might live to see thee married once, I have my wish"
- the nurse may have acted differently to Juliet after Romeo was exiled as her wish had already been fulfilled
Give a quote from the nurse in Act 1 Scene 3 that links growth with pregnancy
"No less, nay bigger. women grow by men"
Give a quote from Act 2 Scene 4 that suggests the nurses view of Romeo when she meets him and why is this important?
"Now God in heaven, bless thee"
- Its important as the nurse would soon come to turn her back on Romeo
Give a quote from the NURSE, in Act 2 Scene 5, that shows Juliets impatience
"What haste! Can you not stay a while?"
Give a quote from the nurse, in act 2 scene 5, where she compliments Romeo
"his face be better than any mans"
What does the nurse say to Juliet in Act 3 Scene 2 to declare Tybalts death and what does this suggest?
"He'd dead, he's dead, He's dead"
- suggests that the nurse cant come to terms with Tybalts death and therefore, may start to have a negative view of Romeo from here on
In Act 3 Scene 5, what does the nurse say that contradicts her earlier comments/view about romeo?
'I think it best you married with the County...Romeo's a dishclout to him'
In Act 4 Scene 4, what does the nurse say to jokingly mock Capulet?
'go, ye cot-quean, go'
cot-quean = housewife
- refers to when Capulet said that he'd be a housewife for the night and take care of the preparations