Flashcards in Nutrition for Clinicians Deck (8)
What are the treatments and side effects of Echinacea?
- treats cold, flu and infection
- side effects include dizziness and nausea
Treatments and side effects of ephedra sinica (ma huang)?
- increases BP and HR. can be taken as a recreational drug and result in death
Treatments and side effects of Garlic (allium sativum)?
- lowers cholesterol, BP, and has antibiotic effects
- in high doses has an anticoagulant effect
Treatments and effects of Gingko biloba?
- peripheral vascular disease, circulatory problems
- GI disturbances
Treatments and effects of ginseng?
- boosts the immune system
- no known side effects
Treatments and side effects of goldenseal (hydrastis cenadensis)?
- topical application fo canker sores and skin problems
- if taken systemically, may cover up use of narcotics
Treatment and side effects of St. John's Wort (hypericum perforatum)?
- antidepressant, anxiety, sleeping problems
- makes you photosensitive