Flashcards in Play Deck (13):
When does sensorimotor play occur?
How does a child play by 6 months?
- Reaches and grasps for small objects
- Takes objects to mouth
- May shake objects to make sounds
How does a child play by 9 months?
- Can shake object in imitation
- Can start playing simple social games
How does a child play by 12 months?
- Takes objects to mouth less
- Puts objects in and out of boxes
When does functional pretend play occur?
1 - 2 years +
How does a child play from 12 months?
Attempts to use a hairbrush to brush hair, or teddy
How does a child play from 13-14 months?
Pushes a toy car around the floor
When does symbolic pretend play occur?
18 months +
How does symbolic pretend play develop?
Develops gradually from first attempts (18 months+) to sociodramatic play (3 years+)
What happens during symbolic play?
- Substituting one object for another
- Attributing imaginary property to an object or a situation
- Referring to an absent object or person as if they were present
When does sociodramatic play occur?
30-36 months (2.5-3 years)
What happens during sociodramatic play?
- Assignment of roles
- Engaging in play with a 'plan'
- Foundation for more complex play, involving imaginary friends/worlds