Flashcards in Prosthetics 2 - Why Partial Dentures? Deck (11)
what are the uses of partial dentures?
- appearance: fill in gaps from missing teeth
- speech: better articulation of words
- mastication: more efficient chewing
- prevent attrition
- prevent unwanted tooth movement: drifting, tilting, overeruption
- prevent tongue spread
- helps with maxillofacial defects: congenital/acquired (obturators)
what are the health gains of using partial dentures?
which structures can be compromised due to the use of partial dentures?
downside of partial dentures?
- tissue damage
- periodontal disease
- increased plaque levels
how to minimize damage from partial dentures?
- ensure good fit of prostheses
- avoid tissue coverage where possible
- good oral hygiene
describe the kennedy class 1 saddle
bilateral free end saddle
describe the kennedy class 2 saddle
unilateral free end saddle
describe the kennedy class 3 saddle
single bounded saddle that does not cross the midline
describe the kennedy class 4 saddle
single bounded saddle that crosses the midline (anterior teeth)
what if there is more than one edentulous saddle present?
modifications are used to refine the basic classification