Flashcards in Religion - Crime and punishment Deck (19)
What do Christians believe about Justice?
- That the world should be ruled justly and that God will reward the good and punish the bad.
Muslims believe that the world is the law of God. What is this called?
Why does Islam believe in Justice? (4 marks)
1. The Qu'ran said God is Just
2. the Qu'ran says that Muslims should treat people fairly
3. Muslims believe as part of stewardship it is their role to treat people fairly
4. Shari'ah is based on Justice for everyone
What is Zakat?
A pillar of Islam that makes rich people donate 2 and a half percent of their wealth to the poor.
What are the three things Muslims think punishment should be based on?
What do Islam believe about severe punishments?
They should only be used as the last option
Give three general arguments for and against Capital punishment.
1. If people know death is a consequence of committing crime, they won't do it.
2. No longer a threat to society
3. If you take a life, you don't deserve one.
1. Innocent people could get killed
2. Murderers do not expect to be caught
3. Sometimes Murderers commit suicide anyway
Why are Christians against capital punishment? (3 marks)
1. Jesus came to reform sinners
2. Jesus condemned an eye for an eye
3. The sanctity of life
What does the Qu'ran say death is the punishment for?
- Denying Islam
What did Muhammad think about Capital punishment?
He agreed with it and sentenced people to death while he was ruler.
An act against the will of God
An act against the law
Rules made by parliament and enforceable by the courts
Due allocation of reward and punishment, the maintenance of what is right
A penalty given for any crime or offence
The idea that punishments should make criminals pay for what they did wrong
The idea that punishments should try to change criminals so they will not commit crimes again
A recurring compulsion to engage in an activity regardless of its bad effects