Flashcards in Smart And Modern Materials Deck (9):
What are smart materials?
Materials that can sense and react to the environmental conditions and are produced to perform a particular function.
What are some examples of smart fabrics?
- tights impregnated with moisture or vitamins.
- wrinkle free fabrics or garments.
- sanitised fabrics for sportswear.
What are interactive textiles ?
Includes a circuit and micro chip in a fabric so that it can act like a computer or store energy.
What are some examples of interactive textiles ?
- hats and gloves that generate power through movement and then produce energy to keep the wearer warm.
- fibre optics woven into fabrics act as radios or MP3 players.
- lights incorporated into clothing for safety purposes.
What is micro encapsulation?
A smell is contained in fibres.
The smell is released when the patch is scratched.
What is Kevlar?
An incredibly strong material which is 5 times stronger than steel.
Used for bullet proof vests and other protective garments.
What is Polartec?
A biodegradable polyester fabric made from recycled plastic bottles.
It is warm, lightweight, breathable and is often used to make fleece fabric.
What is Nomex?
A heat proof fabric which is used to make garments for fire fighters, astronauts and racing car drivers.