Flashcards in Test 3 Deck (28)
1. How many dispensations did you learn in class?
7: Innocence, Conscience, Government, Promise, Law, Grace, Millennial Kingdom
2. Meaning of Apocalyptic
Apokalupto= to unveil, uncover, reveal
Form of Jewish and Christian writings produced between 200 B.C. and 200 A.D.
Apocalyptic (literary form) not the same thing as eschatology (doctrine of the end times)
3. Author of Revelation
4. List and define 2 ways to interpret Revelation
Revelation describes events that took place in the first century or started then and took time to complete.
Two views: It reflects the Jewish revolt and the destruction of the temple in Jerusalem. Some extend the timeline to the fall of the Roman empire (5th C)
Sometimes called the "spiritualist" view. Revelation describes the continuous struggle between good and evil Christ and his followers will eventually triumph
5. Explain the New Jerusalem
(Revelation 21 - 22)
Prepared as a bride
12 gates, 12 foundations
River of the water of life, tree of life
6. What are the genuine Christian Teachings in 1st John?
- Faith (Belief in Jesus as the incarnate Christ)
- Righteous living
- Love for other believers
- Reassurance of the faithful
- Genuine forgiveness in community -1:9
- Walk in love - 2:10
- Not be ashamed of Christ's return - 2:28
- Prayers are answered - 3:22
7. Name three of the triads found and three things that made them up.
o 3 Ways to help others: help doubters, save others from destruction, and carefully rescue others without being taken down
o 3 Blessings: mercy, peace, and love
o 3 Ways to depend on the Trinity: build up your faith, pray in the Holy Spirit, and stay in God's love
8. 3 blessings in the book of Jude
9. 2 disciples of John
Papias & Polycarp
10. The book of 3rd John was written to whom
11. 2 negative examples of people in Jude
Reject authority, and slander angels
a view that Jesus only seemed to be human (a view that he could not be both human/material [therefore evil], and divine/spiritual [therefore good], at the same time).
13. The negative example of man in 3rd John
- Diotrephes (9-10) - Not very nice (John's action: vs. 10)
- Wants to be first in all things [WANNA-BE-LEADER] - MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY
- Not welcoming traveling Christians
- Spreads rumors/gossips
- Prevents those who want to help traveling believers
14. The Three sets of seven visions in Revelation
Vision 1- Seven Churches
Vision 2- Judgement
Vision 3- Conquest
15. Know the 4 horsemen (what were they like and what did they represent?)
White: bow and crown; conqueror
Red: sword; power to take peace
Black: pair of scales; inflated prices
Pale: rider named Death
16. List and describe the views of the millennium
We are in the age of the church (millennium) during which the world will be won for Christ through preaching the gospel to all people (Matt. 24:14)
Christ's return, the resurrection of the dead, and the final judgment will all come at the end of time
There will be no literal thousand-year reign of Jesus on earth- it is the present church age
Jesus reigns in heaven now, using the spiritual ministry of the church
Historic Premillennial View:
Christ's return and the resurrection of believers precedes a literal millennium
Christ reigns with the saints on earth for a thousand years before the final judgment
Dispensational Premillennial View:
Believers will be raptured to escape the tribulation
The purpose of the tribulation is to restore Israel
Christ returns at the end of the tribulation to reign on earth for a thousand years before the final judgment
17. The reason of Revelation was written
Meant to offer hope and assurance that the coming of the Lord is to come
18. The themes of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd John
1st John: Tests of fellowship with God: faith (Christology), righteous living, love
2nd John: Christian truth and love
3rd John: Christian hospitality
19. Which book was written to the chosen lady and her children?
20. Which OT books are the most quoted in the book of Revelation?
Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Daniel
21. What concept (Love, light, truth, know, world) appears the most in the book of 1st John?
22. 1st John contains many of the same keywords as one of the gospels. What is it?
23. The shortest book in the NT
24. A book of Righteous Anger
25. Jude’s warning about false teachers
False teachers slipped in (3-4)
Character of false teachers (8-19)
Resistance against false teachers (20-23)
God is able to keep us from falling (24-25)
26. The theme of 1st Peter
Encouragement in Time of Suffering
27. 2nd Peter was written before or after Paul’s epistles?