Flashcards in The Role of microorganisms Deck (11)
State how many roles do microorganisms possess?
*hint: 4 ways
What examples of microorganisms are producers?
What makes them producers?
- they have chloroplast hence they can produce energy through photosynthesis
What are the decomposers that decomposes dead organisms?
- Saprophytic bacteria
- saprophytic fungi
Why is decomposers important to the environment?
- Decomposers break down complex organic substance to simple compounds, ammonium
- Ammonium will then be absorbed by the soil
What is the relationship of organisms when the host is harmed and another organisms gets the benefit ?
Give example of organisms having this relationship.
- Plasmodium sp., a protozoa that lives inside the female mosquito transmits Malaria to anyone who is bitten by the mosquito
What is the definition of symbiont?
A symbiont is when an organism has a close relationship with the host.
How many types of symbiont relationships we can classify? Name them and state their differences.
- 2types of symbionts
- Lives outside host
- Exp: Ectomycorrhiza(fungi) absorb nutrients from soil while not harming host
- Live inside host
- Exp: Protozoa that live inside alimentary canal of termites
- secretes enzyme to break down cellulose in wood to simple sugar for termites. Termites provide shelter and food.
What are pathogens and vectors? State their definition.
Pathogens: Organisms that can cause disease
(fungi, bacteria, virus, protozoa)
Vectors: Organisms that transmits pathogens
State some examples of pathogens.
Dengue virus is transmitted to humans through Aedes mosquito bites
Vibrio cholerae is spread to humans through flies
What happens when pathogen enter your body?
- pathogen damages cell so they can divide and multiply