Flashcards in The UK's evolving physical landscape Deck (12):
What is igneous rock made from ?
What is sedimentary rock made from ?
compressed sediment (e.g. clay, chalk, limestone)
What is metamorphic rock ?
igneous or sedimentary rock changed by heat or pressure (e.g. shale into slate)
What is the main rock type in the upland landscapes (top half) ?
igneous and metamorphic rock
What is the main rock type in the lowlands (bottom half) ?
What are the characteristics of chalk ?
- only found in lowland Britain
- forms cliffs at coastlines
What are the characteristics of clay ?
- found everywhere in Britain
- clay landscapes are typically wide, flat plains with lots of lakes, streams and rivers
What are the characteristics of granite ?
- resistant to erosion
- landscapes are badly drained
What are the characteristics of metamorphic rocks ?
- very strong
- resistant to erosion and weathering
What is slate formed from ?
clay - layers in the clay for weak planes in the slate
What is the cause of the differences in upland and lowland areas ?
different physical processes working together