Flashcards in Unconditional Election Deck (26):
God's decision to save someone does not ultimately depend on anything in that person
God's election not based on foreseen faith, repentance, perseverance, or good works.
That would be grounds for boasting
We choose God b/c God first chose us.
I selected b/c I was elected
Even faith and repentance are free gifts of God.
Regeneration precedes conversion, cannot take credit for any part.
God also ultimately determines that some sinners will not be saved.
Divine reprobation and election
"God chooses capriciously or arbitrarily who gets saved and who doesn't"
- 'According to his wisdom.'
Not imply there's no reason, just that it's not in us
"Salvation not conditional on anything, including faith, repentance, or good works."
- We don't deny these conditions, just that it depends on God alone
"God forces people to be saved (or damned) regardless of what they actually want."
- God saves us through our will, not against our will
1. Sola Gratia
2. There can be no ground for boasting on our salvation (1 Cor 1:28-31)
3. Even our faith and repentance must be free gifts of God
4. Whether we are saved or not must depend ultimately on God
"God does not show partiality (Rom 2:11), he is no respecter of persons."
- God does not treat everyone equally (Acts 17)
- Context of all ethnic groups
- Arms have same problem, why have not all heard?
"God respects free will, not a divine rapist"
- Works through our will
"If God ultimately decides, evangelism is a waste of time."
- Foreordains the means and the ends
- Without God's sovereignty, evangelism would be worthless
- Church history
"Unjust to condemn to hell before ever born."
- Arms face, God creates them knowing they will reject
- Decree of election treats people as fallen, not neutral
"Jn. 3:16 - God loves the world and wants all to be saved."
- Cosmos in John refers to "fallen creation," particularly humanity.
- Arms have same prob, why not all offered the gospel?
"Jn. 3:16 - Anyone who wants eternal life can have it."
"1 Tim 2:4, 2 Peter 3:9 - God wants everyone to be saved."
- Passages not referring to election
- "All" = w/o distinction, not w/o exception
- "You" = Christians
- Preceptive, not decretive will
"If election depends on God's secret will, no basis for assurance of salvation."
- Arm's same prob, determine by evidence
- Not secret once comes to pass
- Elect are those who come to a saving faith in Christ
- Series of tests for genuine faith: love for God, others, beliefs, conforming to Christ
UE and Christian Life 1
Exalts sovereignty of God in all things
UE and Christian Life 2
Reassures us that God's redemptive purposes never fail
UE and Christian Life 3
Reinforces the gospel truth that we are saved by grace from start to finish
UE and Christian Life 4
Reassures us that our salvation ultimately depends on God's love for us, not our love for God
UE and Christian Life 5
Encourages us to give thanks for God for everything - even our very faith in Christ
UE and Christian Life 6
Keeps us humble
UE and Christian Life 7
Gives us encouragement that our evangelism will bear fruit (Acts 18:9-10)
UE and Christian Life 8
Provides a firm foundation for doctrines of assurance and perseverance