Flashcards in UNEMPLOYMENT & VULNERABLE FAMILIES Deck (15)
24. What are the reasons for the recent falling unemployment rate in Michigan?
-shrinking labor force (MI has lost 4.6% of labor force since 2009)
-people have left state, retired, or returned to school
-high concentration of baby boomers
-auto industry is doing better
25. Why don’t national unemployment figures “tell the whole story?”
1. Unemployment only counts those looking for work- NOT “discouraged worker”
2. Mobility of unemployment
3. Severely unemployed not counted- Some forced into retirement
4. Regional differences-Pockets hit hard are related to industries & cost of living
26. Where does Michigan rank in home foreclosure rates?
-3rd highest in the nation
-31% of housing sales were foreclosures
27. What adjustments do families make to maintain their standard of living?
1) women joining labor force starting in 70’s
-20% of women w/young children at work in 1960
-60% of women w/young children at work in 1990
2) Increased Working Hours (for men & women)
3) Rising Home Values (dependent on homes)
-home equity loans
28. How is unemployment defined?
1. individuals do not have a job
2. individuals are actively looking for employment [ in the past 4 weeks ]
3. individuals are available for work
29. Describe the multi-dimensional effects of unemployment
1. loss of savings / retirement
2. loss of income/standard of living/networth (change in SES)
3. loss of home or business
4. loss of medical insurance
5. emotional / mental as well
30. What types of income are included when poverty rate is calculated?
- cost of USDA food plan * 3
NO OTHER INCOME, FOOD STAMPS, SUBSIDIES, HOUSING
31. How do younger and older workers compare on length of unemployment?
-younger workers have higher unemployment rates but effects on older workers are greater
-older workers have been out of work for longer than any other group
32.How does the recent recession compare to past economic downturns?
-The present recession is the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression of 1929
-This recession has surpassed all others in terms of duration and severity of loss
- 2 consecutive quarters of decline in a country's GDP
33-35.B & H
Chap. 5: low income workers.
On what strategies have most policies for poor families focused?
-reducing single parenthood
-increasing labor participation
-eliminating dependence on government assistance
What is the most commoncause of conflict and anxiety for low income workers?
problems with childcare
What was the most common definition of a flexible workplace forlow income workers?
the ability to take the child to work
36. Albrecht& Albrecht on poverty:
What were their primary findings?
-education is the most important variable in explaining employment and poverty
Percentage of FEMALES employed is high in countries where:
-the proportion of agricultural employment & service employment is LOW and where manufacturing employment is HIGH
The percentage of MALES employed is:
-related positively to the proportion of the labor force employed in agriculture and manufacturing, and inversely to the proportion of the labor force working in the service sector.
37. Ames et.al on rural workers:
what were the key themes identified in the interviews?
(double check review have longer answer)
2. non-traditional childcare
3. community context