Flashcards in Vocab 3 Deck (14):
1. Make white or pale by extracting color.
Her face blanched when she heard that her friend had died.
2. To grow white from shock or fear.
He saw a scary movie and he was not the only one who blanched with fear.
1. a badge consisting of stripes meeting at an angle, worn on the sleeve by noncommissioned officers, police officers, etc., as an indication of rank, or service.
The chevron that the officer was wearing looked as if it could've been fake.
2. A zigzag design
The yellow and white chevron bag was supposively elegant.
1. artfully or affectedly shy
His coyness was quite awkward at times.
The melted wax or tallow of a candle; sputtering, spitting.
The guttering of the candle produced a spooky effect in the dark, quiet room.
1. To be or become feeble or weak (or to be in a astate of depression or decreasing vitality)
Lost in the desert, I began to languish both physically and mentally as the scorching sun beat down on me.
1. To be full of light
His new watch was very luminous.
the quality of being religious or reverent
The church joined in a prayer full of piety.
To set apart, to isolate, to separate
The judge sequested the jury.
1. To pierce through with or as if with a pointed weapon.
2. To hold motionless
His intense gaze transfixes anyone who looks at it.
1. To occur, or happen
Gamblers can also for the first time wager on the outcomes of events as the events transpire.
1. To shake involuntarily
The sudden burst of cold air left Matthew incapable of any motion except for a slight tremulous quaver.
2. To move, sound, pass, or be affected with great anxiety
By the time math test finally arrived, Anna's minor concern had escalated into an explosion of tremulous energy that made it impossible to focus.
Cloudy or murky.
I did not want to swim in the water because it was turbid and I could not see the bottom.