Flashcards in Vocab 4 Deck (14):
1. Against something or someone
I am averse to cheese
1. (Adjective) Of or having a light, purpleish shade of blue, like that of a clear and unclouded sky.
2. (Noun) A light, purplish blue
We sat on the beach under the azure sky.
1. To deceive or trick someone.
2. To attract or interest someone.
He beguiled his friends into thinking the poison was medicine.
1. conformity in fulfilling official requirements
We all show compliance by following the rules.
1. Adj. flowing or running together; blending into one
2. Noun. a tributary stream.
The two confluent rivers gradually become one.
1. touching; in contact
2. in close proximity; near
The 48 contiguous states in the United States are what most people think of when the thought of the United States comes to mind.
1. Characterized by shyness and modesty; reserved.
The demure girl kept to herself throughout the day.
1. full of grief, mournful
1. Overly concerned with details and formalisms especially in teachings.
Even though you have the correct answer, your being pedantic.
1. Something that forshadows or portends a future event
2. An intuition or feeling about what is going to happen in the future
3. A warning or indication of the future
The sighting of a bunny in the backyard is always a presage of spring.
Overstepping social bounds, usually propriety or courtesy: taking liberties
1. Predictive of something in the future
A prognostic of a global pandemic turned out to be distressingly accurate.
1. Passing especially quickly into and out of existence
Cosette seemed to him only a transient being, darting away from him as quickly as she had come. Yet, no matter how very brief her appearance was, Marius was sure its effect was timeless.
2. Transitory or Temporary
That night, as the construction outside her window droned on, Elizabeth calmly reminded herself it was only a transient occurance.