How do we keep our brains active over the summer? This is a question that eternally plagues people. According to the website Penny Pinching Mom, children can lose up to 60% of what they learned during the last school year over a single summer.
I don’t know about 60% but I do feel a drop in my intelligence level when I don’t do anything over the summer. When I go back to school, I feel like I know nothing at all! How can we fix this?
Here are 10 tips to get your started.
10 Ways to Keep Your Brain Active Over the Summer
- Make a summer bucket list: Things you want to do, things you wish you could do, anything! You might want to go to the beach or eat at a famous restaurant, however include things such as learning a new language or visiting a museum, goals that also stimulate you intellectually.
- Read a book (or two, or three or ten): By reading you are keeping your mind active by having to think about complex vocabulary, constantly looking at words, and making your mind think and make connections
- Be ACTIVE: make it a point not to sit around in front of your computer or the TV all day, and go outside! Observe the world, clear your mind, get that adrenaline pumping to see your mind fresh and sharp!
- Solve some PUZZLES: Rubik’s cubes, Sudoku, and crossword puzzles all count! Do one every day and your mind is sure to be active!
- Take a class! You go to class during the year, so why not during the summer? The great thing is that there are so many different classes you can take: wine making, guitar lessons, Calculus, Investing your money, anything goes!
- Get a job or an internship! It gives you something concrete to do that will make you think while having fun at the same time. It’s a direct application of information and can keep you on your toes and thinking all summer!
- Create art! While art is not necessarily an academic subject, it causes you to think. Which colors go well together? Where should I place this object? Art projects allow you to exercise your motor skills and CREATE, which is not only relaxing, but very fulfilling.
- WRITE something. You don’t have to write a novel. If you want, keep a journal and write a few words every day. Whenever you see or do something funny write it down. That way you are keeping your mind active and also keeping a log that you can use to remember what you did over the summer!
- Cut down on computer and cell phone usage, though you do not have to stop using them. We live in a world where people are connected through Facebook, Twitter, and the Internet in general and sometimes it’s nice to meet people and do things face to face.
- TRAVEL: visit a country you’ve never gone to before. Interact with locals, eat new food, visit monuments and museums, and go on boat rides. Learning about a new culture and place is a great way to keep your mind active. Of course you can still relax on the beach or have a picnic in the park, that’s all part of the experience.
Keeping your mind active during the summer does not seem to be that difficult after all. The key, however, is to be motivated. Challenge yourself to not sit around doing nothing. Make your summer into an adventure of things you have never done before and you will be surprised how much you can accomplish! Remember there are always plenty of online flashcards you can study for any topic you’d like to brush up on.
Brainscape is a web & mobile education platform that
helps you learn anything faster, using cognitive science. Join the
millions of students, teachers, language learners, test-takers, and
corporate trainees who are doubling their learning results. Visit
brainscape.com or find us on the App Store