What is the name given to the major network of nerves which innervate the upper limb?
The Brachial Plexus
Where can the Brachial Plexus be found?
- It begins at the Cervical Region
2, It extends to the Axilla
- What Rami forms the Brachial Plexus?
2. What Spinal Levels do these Rami come from?
- Ventral Rami
2. C5, C6, C7, C8, and T1
What nerve roots form the Upper Trunk?
What is Erb’s Point?
The point where C5 and C6 converge to form the Upper Trunk
- What does injury to the Upper Trunk cause?
- How will this present?
- What can cause this?
- Erb’s Palsy - Paralysis of the Biceps Brachii, Brachialis, Corticobrachialis, and Brachioradialis
- “Waiters Tip” appearance (medially rotated with wrist flexed)
- a) Shoulder Dystocia at birth
- b) A Fall onto the shoulder
What Acronym can be used to remember the order of Brachial Plexus stages?
Read - Roots That - Trunks Damn - Divisions Card - Cords Back - (Terminal) Branches
What nerve roots form the Lower Trunk?
- What does injury to the Lower Trunk cause?
2. What can cause this?
- Klumpke’s Palsy - Paralysis of the Intrinsic Muscles of the Hand, and Ulnar Flexors of the Wrist and Fingers
- Undue abduction of the arm
- What do the division of the 3 trunks form?
- How many divisions do the trunks divide into?
- Where can this be found?
- Cords (Read That Damn Card Back
- 2, Each trunk has an Anterior and a Posterior Division
- In the Axilla
What are the names of the Cords formed in the Axilla?
- Lateral Cord
- Posterior Cord
- Medial Cord
How are the Cords of the Brachial Plexus named?
After their position in relation to the Axillary Artery in the Axilla
What root(s) form the:
a) Upper Trunk
b) Middle Trunk
c) Lower Trunk
The ventral rami of:
a) C5 and C6
c) C8 and T1
What are the branches of the Lateral Cord of the Brachial Plexus?
- Lateral Pectoral
- Lateral Root of the Median Nerve
- Musculocutaneous Nerve
What are the branches of the Medial Cord of the Brachial Plexus?
- Medial Pectoral
- Ulnar Nerve
- Medial Root of the Median Nerve
- Medial Cutaneous Nerve of the Arm
- Medial Cutaneous Nerve of the Forearm
What are the branches of the Posterior Cord of the Brachial Plexus?
- Thoracodorsal Nerve
- Axillary Nerve
- Radial Nerve
- Upper and Lower Subscapular Nerve
What nerve is formed from the roots of C5, C6, and C7?
The Long Thoracic Nerve