Explain Schizophrenogenic Mothers personalities
- creates conflict
- moralistic about sex
- fearful of intimacy
What do schizophrenogenic mothers cause in their children?
- resulting in paranoid delusions
State the fathers' role in the schizophrenogenic mother explanation?
Takes a passive role
- A developing child regularly finds themselves trapped in situations where they fear doing the wrong thing
- they receive mixed messages as to what they did
- they feel unable to comment on the unfairness of the situation or seek clarification.
- when they get things wrong they are punished by withdrawal of love
- they receive contradictory messages from their parents
- confusion leads to self-doubt and withdrawal
- results in paranoid delusions and disorganized thinking
Explain what is meant by Expressed Emotion
- EE is the level of emotion (especially negative emotion) expressed by their carers
Explain the High EE communication style
- Critical comments through tone and content (sometimes accompanied by violence)
- Hostility towards the patient, including Anger and rejection
- Emotional over-involvement (including self-sacrificing)
High levels of EE causes
High risk of relapse