What are the indications for: garlic?
What are the indications for: ginkgo?
- Prevent decreased cerebral function
- Peripheral vascular insufficiency associated with alzheimer's disease or age-related demetia
- Improve memory and cognition
What are the indications for: ginseng?
- Slows aging
- Prevents heart attack
- Improve digestion
- Reduce hypertension
- Strengthen immunity
- CNS stimulant
What are the indications for: ginger?
- Relieve motion sickness and morning sickness
- Decrease arthritis pain and inflammation
- Relieve upset stomach
What are the indications for: feverfew?
- Anti-inflammatory (RA)
- Preventitive for migraines
- Muscle soreness
What are the indications for: fish oils?
- Skin disorders
- Immune support
- PMS/ulcerative colitis/many others
What are the indications for: St. John's Wort?
- Weed like plant
- Reduce mild to moderate depression
What is the most widely studied herb with demonstrated efficacy?
St. John's Wort
What are the indications for: vitamin E?
- Fat soluble
What are the indications for: echinacea?
- Common cold
What are the indications for: Kava Kava?
- Stress relief
- Minor tranquilizer
- Skeletal muscle relaxant
What are the indications for: licorice?
- Gastric disorders
- Aphthous ulcers
- Herpes simplex
What are the indications for: valerian?
- Mild sedative
- Mild anxiolytic
How can you identify the herbs that are associated with increased bleeding risk?
- "A Few G's"
- G followed by vowel = bleeding effect (feverfew included)
- G followed by consonant = no concern
What herb has a risk for severe spontaneous bleeding with concurrent use of aspirin and warfarin?
What herb reduced anticoagulant effect of warfarin?
St. John's Wort
- induces some cytochrome p450 liver enzymes
Other than the G's, which herbs also effect bleeding effects?
- St. John's Wort
- Vitamin E
How long before surgery should herbs be discontinued?
14 days - 2 weeks
What's the big reason to discontinue herbs 2 weeks before surgery?
- Antagonize platelet activating factor!
What's the website you can find info on herbs?
What's the most popular herb or supplement used by consumers today?
Fish oils - 37%
What herb may cause irritation or oral mucosa and tongue?
What are the major active antidepressive constituents of St. John's Wort?
Also contains - flavonoids & tannins
What is feverfew contraindicated in?
What is licorice contraindicated in?