Flashcards in American Goverment Deck (57)
If both the President and the Vice President can no longer serve, who becomes President?
the Speaker of the House
Who is the Commander in Chief of the military?
Who signs bills to become law?
Who vetoes bills?
What does the President's Cabinet do?
advises the President
What are two Cabinet-level positions?
Secretary of ...
What does the judicial branch do?
* reviews laws
* explains laws
* resolves disputes
* decides if a law goes against the Constitution
What is the highest court in the United States?
the Supreme Court
How many justices are on the Supreme Court?
Who is the Chief Justice of the United States now?
Under our Constitution, some powers belong to the federal government. What is one power of the federal government?
* to print money
* to declare war
* to create an army
* to make treaties
Under our Constitution, some powers belong to the states. What is one power of the states?
* provide schooling and education
* provide protection
* provide safety
* give a driver's license
* approve zoning and land use
Who is the Governor of your state now?
(California Governor 2017)
What is the Capital of your state?
What are the two major political parties in the United States?
Democratic and Republican
What is the political party of the President now?
What is the name of the Speaker of the House of Representatives now?
There are four amendments to the Constitution about who can vote. Describe one of them.
* Citizens 18 and older can vote
* You don't have to pay to vote
* Any citizen can vote (women and men can vote)
* A male citizen of any race can vote
What is one responsibility that is only for United States citizens?
* serve on a jury
* vote in a federal election
Name one right only for United States citizens.
* vote in a federal election
* run for federal office
What are two rights for everyone living in the United States?
* freedom of expression
* freedom of speech
* freedom of assembly
* freedom to petition the government
* freedom of religion
* the right to bear arms
What do we show loyalty to when we say the Pledge of Allegiance?
* the United States
* the flag
What is one promise you make when you become a United States citizen?
* give up loyalty to other countries
* defend the Constitution and laws of the United States
* obey the laws of the United States
* serve in the US military (if needed)
* serve the nation (if needed)
* be loyal to the United States
How old do citizens have to be to vote for President?
18 and older
What are two ways that Americans can participate in their democracy?
* join a political party
* help with a campaign
* join a civic group
* join a community group
* give an elected official your opinion on an issue
* call Senators and Representatives
* publicly support or oppose an issue or policy
* run for office
* write to a newspaper
When is the last day you can send in your federal income tax forms?