Relationship b/w therapeutic index and bugs
The width of Tx index is directly proportional to the uniqueness of the microbial target
What is the relationship b/w microbial target and likelihood to cause allergy?
The uniqueness of the microbial target is proportional to the likelihood for the AB to cause allergy
How are AB initially selected for in the clinical setting?
Choice baseed on the likely organism causing the infection in a specific organ.
What are the general cell wall synthesis inhibitors?
What are the general cell membrane toxins?
- Cyclic lipopeptide (daptomycin)
- Polymixins (colistin)
What are the inhibitors of nucleic acid synthesis?
- Fluoroquinolones - 1st and 2nd generation
What are the inhibitors of protein synthesis organized by ribosomal unit?
- 30S inhibitors - aminoglycosides, tetracyclines
- 50S inhibitors - macrolides, linezolid, clindomycin
What are the Bacterial antimetabolites?
- Folic acid trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole
What antiviral agents treat DNA viruses?
- Nucleoside analogs for HSV/VZV
- Nucleoside analogs for CMV
- Pyrophosphate analog for HSV/VZV/CMV
What agents are used to treat RNA viruses?
- Neuraminidase inhibitors for influenza A and B
- Nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors for HIV/HBV
- Non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors for HIV
- Protease inhibitors for HIV
- Protease inhibitors for HCV
- Other for HIV
What are the strategies for antifungal drugs?
- Cell wall synthesis inhibitors
- Cell membrane inhibitors
- Inhibition of nucleic acid synthesis by a nucleoside analog