Flashcards in B2 - Adaptations Deck (10):
What is a habitat?
The natural home or environment of an animal, plant, or other organism.
Why do camels have low body fat?
Body fat would insulate camels causing them to overheat.
Why do elephants have large ears?
This increases surface area for heat loss from their body.
Explain some adaptations of a cactus.
- long roots to reach as much water as possible
- covered in a thick waterproof cuticle to prevent water loss
- water stored in a fleshy stem
- the leaves become spines to reduce water loss
- round shape reduces surface area to prevent water loss
What are behavioral adaptations?
Behavioral adaptations are when an animal or plant actively does something to cope with their habitat.
What is surface area to volume ratio formula?
Ratio = surface area/volume
Does a large surface area to volume ratio mean more or less heat is lost?
What is a specialist?
A specialist is an animal that is suited to only one type of habitat.
What is a generalist?
A generalist is when an animal can survive in different habitats.