Flashcards in Chapter 1 Deck (9)
What is Sport and Exercise Psychology
The scientific study of people and their behaviors in sport and exercise contexts and the practical application of that knowledge.
Sport and Exercise Psychology Objectives
A.) Understand the effects of psychological factors on physical or motor performance.
B.) Understand the effects of physical activity participation on psychological development, health, and well-being
Roles of Sport Psychologist
1. Research - conducting research
2. Teaching - teaching at universities
3. Consulting - trying to enhance performance
Clinical Sport Psychology
Clinical sport psychologitst have extensive training in psychology so they can detect and treat individuals with emotional disorder (e.g., severe depression suicidal tendencies). Licensed by state boards to treat individuals with emotional disorders, clinical sport psychologist have received additional training in sport and exercise psychology and the sport sciences.
Emotional Sport Psychology
Educational Sport psychology specialist are "mental coaches" who educate athletes and exercisers about psychological skills and their development. They have extensive training in sport and exercise science, physical education, and kinesiology. They are not trained to work with individuals who have severe emotional disorders.
1. Competence. Maintain the highest standards in your work and recognize the limits of your expertise.
2. Integrity. Clarify roles and do not falsely advertise
3. Professional and Scientific Responsibility. Always place the interest of the clients first
4. Respect for People's Rights and Dignity. Respect such fundamental rights as privacy and confidentiality among clients.
5. Concern for the Welfare of Others. Always contribute to the welfare of those with whom you work.
6. Social Responsibility. Contribute to knowledge and human welfare while always protecting participants interest.
Professional Practice Knowledge
Professional practice knowledge is what we learn through experience, using many methods of knowing.
Methods of Knowing
-Scientific Method (study/experiment)
-Single case study
-Shared (public) experience